Afghanistan: Resettlement and How You Can Help in California
Two organizations are leading Afghan resettlement efforts in the East Bay, which is home to the largest Afghan American community in the U.S.
Jewish Family and Community Services - East Bay
This nonprofit has been resettling Afghan families for several years through the Special Immigrant Visa Program. They are currently receiving an unprecedented number of families to be resettled In Alameda and Contra Costa counties with very little advanced notice.
Volunteer to be a part of a community sponsorship group if you have a car and availability to help on weekdays during the day. A 3-6 month commitment is expected. Fill out a form to express volunteer interest here.
Community sponsorship groups of 4 to 6 volunteers will assist case managers with tasks such as airport pickups, signing up refugees to access their social services benefits; helping register children for school, providing ESL language support, and other related needs.
SUPPORT: Purchase something from the JFCS Amazon Wish List. These items are shipped to their office in Concord and put directly into the hands of refugees.
IRC Northern California - Oakland
IRC Northern California is raising $150,000 toward its “Afghan Soft Landing Fund,” which will be used to cover emergency temporary housing costs, and rental and utility assistance for refugee families.
SUPPORT: Donate to the Soft Landing Fund to help IRC Oakland with housing needs for resettled Afghan refugees.
Purchase supplies for resettled Afghan refugees from IRC Oakland Amazon wishlists
**Response teams are forming as part of a coordinated effort among East Bay nonprofits to support housing, legal assistance, health/wellness/mental health, volunteer/in-kind donations, and advocacy for resettled Afghan evacuees. Information on how to support these efforts will be disseminated soon.
International Institute of Los Angeles: Volunteers needed:
- Refugee Resettlement
- Child Care Centers
- Office Admin & Internships
- Interpreter Services
- Youth and Adult Mentors
- Outreach and Fundraising
- Immigration Legal Services
International Rescue Committee (IRC) Los Angeles:
- Accepting monetary donations to offset the cost of re-homing.
- Amazon wishlist
- Target wishlist
- Volunteer Opportunities: ESL tutors, Career Placement coach, Apartment Set up, Financial Coaching, Reception and Placement
Interfaith Refugee and Immigration Services
- Donate money or items
- Volunteer your time: English learning, citizenship services, supporting asylum seekers and asylees, food pantries, distributions, transportation, donations, and office support
Voices of Refugees (Anaheim) seeks online volunteer ESL tutors and mentor volunteers as well as food and furniture delivery volunteers.
- Access California Services: accepting monetary donations to assist Afghan refugees resettle.
- Word Relief: volunteer with children’s art program, Teen Mentors, and Immigration Legal Services.
- Home For Refugees (Mission Viejo):
- COMMUNITY SPONSORSHIP TEAMS - We need your help to come alongside these refugees and provide a warm welcome as we provide the wrap-around care they will need to resettle in our communities. Right now we are hosting information sessions to form new community sponsorship teams who will work with these families for the upcoming year. Please visit our Facebook page for the latest information about community sponsorship and other essential information about helping.
- Financial Donations
San Diego County
- World Relief: ESL Tutors, Youth tutors, Career Mentors, and Good Neighbor Partners who help a recent refugee or asylee family or individual adjust to American life by walking alongside them with a group of volunteers (a small group of your friends and/or fellow church members). You'll be their guide from the very beginning, from meeting them at the airport to helping enroll them in social services, to building a relationship.
- Catholic Charities Immigrant and Refugee Services San Diego:
- English Language Tutor
- Transportation Assistant
- Housing Assistant
- Resettlement Mentor
- Job Coach
- We accept donations of home furnishings, hygiene products, and back-to-school items. Contact us at 619-287-9454.
- International Rescue Committee (IRC) San Diego
- Monetary donation to support resettlement re-homing, household, and school supply costs.
- Open your home as a place of refuge for emergency temporary housing with IRC’s partner Airbnb.org’s Open Homes Program.
- Jewish Family Services:
- RefugeeNet: We equip refugee families with self-reliant, engaged, and contributing citizens. We do this by providing academic support to kids, coordinating with community schools to give students the help they need. And we care for their families by organizing weekly food distribution and offering case management and job development services to help parents increase their earning capacity.
- Volunteer as an After School Tutor or food distribution driver.