January 15, 2021
- the types of information we collect through our Services;
- how we use and protect that information;
- the types of information we may share with others and under what circumstances;
- the choices you have regarding our collection, use, and sharing practices; and
- details regarding our use of third-party cookies and other tracking technologies.
We also include special disclosures for residents of the European Economic Area, U.K., and Switzerland.
This Policy applies when you interact with us through our Services. It also applies anywhere it is linked. It does not apply to non-TSOS websites and mobile applications that may link to the Services or be linked to from the Services; please review the privacy policies on those websites and applications directly to understand their privacy practices.
Information We Collect
Information you give us
Our Services may permit you to enter contact information and other information about you. We collect and store any information you enter on our Services. This includes:
- Contact and demographic information.
- Information you provide when you complete a survey or share a story.
- Information you submit to inquire about or apply for a job or volunteer position with us.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence and any contact information provided.
When you engage in a transaction using a credit or debit card on our site, such as to make a donation, we use a payment processor to process your payment; TSOS does not collect or store payment card information.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also receive information about you from other parties:
- Non-profit organizations who share story content with us or who suggest individuals to share their stories with us.
- Information about your background and prior work experiences when we run background or conflicts checks if you volunteer with us.
- Other organizations who share mailing or other lists with us.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you interact with the Services, we collect certain information about your use of our Services automatically. This includes:
- Analytics about your interaction with our Services, including traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, the resources that you access, and how you reached our Services.
- Details regarding the device you use to access our Services, including, but not limited to, your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
- Information about how you interact with our newsletters, including whether you open or click links in any correspondence.
- Information that you make available to us on a social media platform (such as by clicking on a social media icon linked from our Services), including your account ID or username and other information included in your posts.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
The types of cookies and tracking technologies our partners use can be categorized as:
Analytics: These technologies help us to understand how visitors interact with our Services by collecting and reporting information about how you and your device interact with the Services.
Below is a list of these partners with links to more information about their use of your information and any options they may make available regarding tracking.
Combination of Information
We may combine information from the Services together and with other information we obtain from our records.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To provide you with our services, including to record, edit, and disseminate your story (if applicable), process donations, send service communications, and conduct general operations such as accounting, recordkeeping, and audits.
- To provide you with the best service and improve and grow our organization, including to understand how our Services are being used, understand our client base and user trends, understand the effectiveness of our marketing, and develop new products and services.
- To protect and secure our Services, assets, network, and operations, and to detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal.
- To comply with legal process, such as warrants, subpoenas, court orders, and lawful regulatory or law enforcement requests and to comply with legal requirements regarding the provision of products and services.
How We Secure the Information We Collect from or About You
We use a combination of physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information we collect through the Services. While we use these precautions to safeguard your information, we cannot guarantee the security of the networks, systems, servers, devices, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf.
How We Share Your Information
We share information as follows:
Service Providers: We engage vendors to perform functions on our behalf, and they may receive information about you. These vendors are obligated by contract to use information that we share only for the purpose of providing these services. The functions our vendors support include video production; translation services; billing and collection; auditing and accounting; professional services; analytics services; security; IT; and marketing emails.
Partners: We share data with academic and non-profit partners, such as the Global Refugee Archive hosted by Brigham Young University.
Government Entities: We may also share data when we believe in good faith that we are lawfully authorized or required to do so to respond to lawful subpoenas, warrants, court orders, or other regulatory or law enforcement requests, or when necessary to protect our property or rights or the safety of our employees, our volunteers, or other individuals.
Potential Reorganization of TSOS: We may change ownership or our corporate structure while providing the Services. We may combine with or transfer our assets and operations to another non-profit or entity with similar goals as TSOS and may share some or all information in our possession about you in connection with, or during negotiations regarding any such combination, merger, acquisition, change in ownership, or similar transaction. In such case, we cannot promise that the resulting entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Policy. If you have entered into any contractual arrangements, written releases or consents with TSOS regarding the handling of your information, TSOS’ commitments under those documents will not change even if there is a future change in TSOS’ corporate structure.
We may use and share at our discretion data that has been aggregated (information that has been compiled into summaries) or de-identified (information that has been stripped of all unique identifiers such that it cannot be linked to a particular individual).
Cross-border Transfer of Data
If you use our Services outside of the United States, you understand that we may collect, process, and store your information in the United States and other countries. The laws in the United States regarding information may be different from the laws of your country. Any such transfers will comply with safeguards as required by relevant law. By using the Services, you consent to the collection, international transfer, storage, and processing of your data.
Your Options and Rights Regarding Your Information
Email Unsubscribe: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email newsletter or email us at [email protected] and we will promptly remove you from all correspondence.
Cookies: Most web browsers automatically accept cookies but, if you prefer, you can usually modify your browser setting to disable or reject cookies. If you delete your cookies or if you set your browser to decline cookies, some features of the Services may not be available, work, or work as designed. You may also be able to opt out of or block tracking by interacting directly with the other companies who conduct tracking through our Services.
Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. We do not honor Do Not Track signals at this time.
Information for Individuals Located in the EEA, U.K., and Switzerland
We process “Personal Data,” as that term is defined in the EU General Data Protection Regulation, on the following legal bases: (1) with your consent; (2) as necessary to perform our agreement to provide Services; and (3) as necessary for our legitimate interests in providing the Services where those interests do not override your fundamental rights and freedom related to data privacy. Information we collect may be transferred to, and stored and processed in, the United States or any other country in which we or our affiliates or subcontractors maintain facilities, as described above.
Users that reside in the European Economic Area (“EEA”), U.K., or Switzerland have the right to lodge a complaint about our data collection and processing actions with the supervisory authority concerned. Contact details for data protection authorities are available here.
If you are a resident of the EEA, U.K., or Switzerland, you have certain rights. We may require you to provide us with information so that we can verify you prior to giving you access to any records containing information about you. These rights include the ability to do the following:
- Request from us access to information held about you or request transmission of your data to a third party.
- Request that we rectify inaccurate or incomplete information we hold about you.
- Request that we erase data when such data is no longer necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, when you withdraw consent and no other legal basis for processing exists, or when you believe that your fundamental rights to data privacy and protection outweigh our legitimate interest in continuing the processing.
- Request that we restrict our processing if there is a dispute about the accuracy of the data, if the processing is unlawful, if the processing is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected but is needed by you for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, or if your request to object to processing is pending evaluation.
- Object to processing of your personal data based on our legitimate interests or for direct marketing (including profiling). We will no longer process the data unless there are compelling legitimate grounds for our processing that override your interests, rights, and freedoms, or for the purpose of asserting, exercising, or defending legal claims.
- Withdraw your consent at any time, if we are processing your personal data based on your consent.
To submit a request to exercise your rights, please contact us at [email protected]. We may have a reason under the law why we do not have to comply with your request or may comply with it in a more limited way than you anticipated. If we do, we will explain that to you in our response.
Changes to This Policy
For questions about our privacy practices, contact us at:
PO Box 970771
Orem, UT 84097
Email: [email protected]