Afghanistan: Resettlement and How You Can Help in Maryland
Greater Washington DC Area:
Lutheran Social Services National Capital Area (LSSNCA) Hyattsville and Dale City, MD
- Good Neighbor Program: home setups, transportation, 3 month, 6 months, and 1-year mentoring opportunities.
- Foster a Refugee Youth
- Amazon Wishlist
- In-kind donations and Welcome boxes
- Donate Money
- Donate Furniture
Catholic Charities Migration and Refugee Services Silver Springs
- (Very) Gently used furniture donations
- Contact: Belayneh Loppisso | [email protected] | 571.292.2259
- Household items Amazon wishlist
- Collect winter items for their immigrant and refugee clients to help them prepare for colder weather.
- They are looking for: winter coats, hats, gloves, scarves, baby winter items, winter socks, and blankets of all sizes before September 24, 2021. See more information here.
International Rescue Committee (IRC), Silver Springs
- With its office in Silver Spring, IRC has supported the resettlement of Afghan Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders in the DMV.
- More information on the work the Silver Spring office does.
- The IRC has set up a “Welcome to Maryland” fund to support the resettlement of Afghans in the area. You can donate to the fund online.
- The IRC Silver Spring office has a number of volunteer opportunities, including housing set up, leading an effort to fully furnish a new home, family mentors, and more.
- The IRC and Homes Not Borders also have an Amazon wishlist.
- They are currently asking for a range of items, including Amazon gift cards.
Other Ways to Help
Homes Not Borders need everything to make a house a home from towels and kitchen utensils to coffee tables and dressers.
- See more information here, including a complete list of what they need here, schedule a pick-up, or drop off furniture at their warehouse (3610 East Street Landover, MD) between 10 am and 2 pm every day.